- The Qualifying Charitable Organizations Tax Credit (formerly known as the Working Poor Tax Credit) is a dollar-for-dollar charitable contribution you can give to 501(c)(3) corporations (nonprofits). With this Tax Credit you can receive a dollar-for-dollar tax credit, up to $400 filing single or $800 if filing a joint return, on your state income taxes while helping our youth – at no additional cost to you.
- This means you can reduce the amount you owe or increase your refund by the amount you give to MentorKids USA now (up to $800 for couples filing jointly or $400 for individuals).
To mail your contribution please mail your check (made payable to MentorKids USA) by December 31, 2016 to:
MentorKids USA, 15300 N. 90th St. #200, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Please write "Tax Credit" on the check memo line.
Read the Frequently Asked Questions below, call us at 480 767-6706 or email Chuck Westerlund if you need more information. Thank you for supporting MentorKids USA!
Qualifying Charitable Organizations Tax Credit F.A.Q.:
- How do I qualify for Charitable Tax Credits?
- In order to receive the tax credit, any contribution you make to MentorKids USA in 2014 (up to $400 singles and $800 couples) must be reported on form 321 when you file Arizona State taxes. MentorKids USA is a 2016 Qualifying Charitable Organization.
- What about the baseline year?
- As of September 2009, the baseline year provision was removed so a donation to a qualifying charitable organization is all that is required.
- What is the difference between a tax credit and a tax deduction?
- A tax credit is significantly more beneficial than a tax deduction. A tax credit reduces your taxes, dollar-for-dollar. A tax deduction reduces the taxable income upon which your tax liability is calculated.
- How do I know MentorKids qualifies for the credit under this program?
- Qualifying organizations are required to send the Department of Revenue a self-certification letter stating that they meet all qualifying criteria. The Department in turn publishes a list of self-certified organizations. You can request a list from Department of Revenue in Phoenix at 602.255.3381 or by viewing the List of Qualifying Charitable Organizations for 2016.
- Can I take the Qualifying Charitable Organizations Tax Credit if I take the School Tax Credit?
- Yes, they are separate credits and you are allowed to take advantage of both.
- Does the tax credit also apply to my federal income tax returns?
- No. The Qualifying Charitable Organizations Credit applies only on your Arizona State income tax. However, you may be able to claim a federal tax deduction for the amount donated.
- Where can I get more information about the tax credit?
- You can get more information by visiting the Arizona Department of Revenue website or by calling Taxpayer Assistance at 602.255.3381 or 800.352.4090.
*Please note that MentorKids USA is not a tax advisor. Please contact a qualified tax advisor for advice on your personal tax situation.