Research has proven what we have intuitively known all along: mentoring works. According to one study, compared to children without mentors, children with mentors were:
- 46% less likely to start using illegal drugs,
- 27% less likely to start drinking alcohol,
- 52% less likely to skip a day of school,
According to our own internal research, our MentorKids youth report
- an increased hope in the future,
- a more positive outlook on school/education,
- increased civic engagement through service projects,
- spiritual growth
Since 1997 we have focused on creating one-to-one mentoring relationships. In 2010 we introduced a cutting-edge concept we call Promise Neighborhoods which seeks to create systemic change in specific neighborhoods through a variety of mentoring opportunities on three tiers: youth, families, and community.
We have a variety of mentoring opportunities in each Promise Neighborhood. When you click on the link below, please specify which Promise Neighborhood(s) you are most interested in and in which capacity you would like to volunteer and we will do our best to find the right fit for you.